Recent Industry News
For over 20 years, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Inspector General (OIG) has been informing the health care sector of the OIG’s Compliance expectations.
The OIG undertakes the following efforts:
- Issues Compliance guidance documents;
- Testifies before Congress regarding key findings;
- Publishes Semi-Annual Reports on OIG activities;
- Issues annual Work Plans;
- Promulgates “Safe Harbor” rules;
- Executes Advisory Opinions concerning the Anti-Kickback Statute;
- Negotiates Corporate Integrity Agreements;
- Produces podcasts on compliance topics; and
- Presents at the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA), and other forums.
The OIG also publishes White Papers in conjunction with the AHLA to help individuals understand the OIG’s current position on Compliance. The White Papers emphasize the OIG’s growing position of holding Boards accountable for proper oversight of Compliance within their organizations.
The OIG White Papers include the following:
- “An Integrated Approach to Corporate Compliance: A Resource for Health Care Boards of Directors”;
- “Corporate Responsibility and Corporate Compliance: A Resources for Health Care Boards of Directors”; and
- “Practical Guidance for Health Care Governing Boards on Compliance Oversight.”